Concerto di Carnevale

Tuesday was a wonderful day.
I got 12 hours of sleep the night before and was ready for my day. I took my leisurely walk along the Arno to school . My first class of the day, at 1:00pm, was my Italian language class. We finished learning the basic verbs and conjugations. With the Spanish I do know, it has made learning some basic Italian both easier and harder. Some words are quite close to Spanish and others are very different. The little things, such as the way you pronounce "che" as it is different in both languages, are throwing me off. But I have two more months to get the hang of that.
Intro to Political Science starts almost immediately after Italian, which is followed by my Italian Life and Culture class. My Italian Life and Culture class is a required class for all students in my program. It is a fantastic class in which we are immeresed in the Italian culture through lectures and activities. We have one lecture and one activity a week.
For our Italian Life and Culture class yesterday we had a tour of Palazzo della Signoria, better known as Palazzo Vecchio. Palazzo Vecchio is currently the town hall of Florence. It has been a symbol of the civic power of Florence for over seven centuries. While standing in Giovanni de Medici former room our tour guide Angela told us the doors to our left were closed as it is the current mayor of Florence's office. The mayor could have be in his office working while I was on the other side of the door, listening to Angela tell us the history of the building.
Erinn and I got gelato after our tour ended and were rather disappointed. We've made a deal to try a new gelato place whenever we can and the place we tried yesterday was not good. I got cheesecake and coffee and the coffee wasn't even good. I was extremely bummed as we hadn't gotten gelato in almost a week.
We arrived home after our disappointing gelato and Erinn made us pancakes as it was Pancake Tuesday. She is a wonderful pancake chef but nothing can beat Abbe's pancakes. We had a filling dinner of pancakes before I got ready to go to Concerto di Carnevale.
Concerto di Carnevale was part of the celebration of carnevale. The symphony was extremely moving and wonderful. They had a solo pianist who played a song on his own for 10 minutes. I was astounded. Each note was played with such grace and poise. I loved it so very much and it was fun to get all dressed up. Hearing the symphony made me miss playing music very much.

I got home around 11:30pm from the symphony and chatted with Erinn until about 12:30am. At 12:30am, Erinn and I Facetimed Simone until about 3:00am. Staying up that late was not good for us as we had class in the morning but we got a personal cooking show from Simone and Jackson so it was worth it.
I'm now sitting in my living room typing out this blog and watching The Sound of Music. I've always loved this movie. I haven't seen it in years as the version I have at home is on VHS and we no longer have a VHS player. I'm at the part in the movie where Maria has gone back to the abbey and the Von Trapp children are heartbroken.
In a few hours I will be going to a cooking class where I will be learning how to make pasta from scratch. I am very excited! In my small kitchen here in my apartment I cook very often. Making pasta from scratch will be a challenge but a challenge I am willing and wanting to accept.

No comments

Back to Top