Quitting Never Felt So Good

In the past three weeks I've learned that sometimes quitting is the answer, not all dreams are meant to last forever, and you need to do what makes you happy.
Now I'm not saying quitting is always the answer as quitting is usually not the answer. Although it is the answer if you are truly unhappy and dread having to do something you once loved. It's okay to have grown and no longer love something the way you used to. You are meant to grow your entire life and that means you change. Your likes and dislikes will not always be the same. The dream you once had may no longer be your dream. Some dreams are fulfilled and last forever while others are over in the blink of an eye. Not everything is meant to last forever.
For 6 years I have worked at summer camp. I was a teen volunteer for 3 years and a counselor for 3 years. Before that, I was a camper for 8 years. From the first week I went to camp I dreamed of being a counselor there. It was my dream and I achieved it. I've loved getting to sing camp songs, canoe, shoot archery, and act silly all day long with some of the funniest, kindest, craziest, most wonderful kids and coworkers these past 6 years. Camp has filled me with so much love and wonderful memories yet I couldn't ignore the dread I felt about having to go back to camp this summer. I no longer felt the drive and passion to go back to the place I once loved and give the job the effort it, and the kids, deserve. I thought I would be able to stifle the feeling all summer but I knew I wouldn't be truly happy. So I quit and I've never been happier.
I am now a manager in the sports department and was recently hired at a retail store, which will remain nameless. 
It WAS my dream to be a camp counselor. This dream made me happy for 14 years. Now my dream is to always be happy with what I am doing. To be happy with how I spend my time. To be happy with the path I am following. To be happy with me; to always be happy being me.
I am not usually a quitter, but two weeks ago I was and it was great.

1 comment

Back to Top