Week 10 in Spain

This past week has been a long one. I've been yearning to write a blog post and now I finally have some down time! So here is what I've done this week.
Salsa dancing on Friday night was so much fun! We met a guy named Gustavo who showed us the ropes of the salsa club. Anavi, Krista, Madi, and I danced until our feet hurt. We caught the metro home at 1:45 am. By the time we got home it was about 2:30 am and I have never seen Jennifer more excited to see us since we've been here. We're were all confused on her excitement until she explained what had happened just hours earlier in Paris. Nobody took their phones with them because we didn't want to have to keep an eye on them all night so Jennifer couldn't get a hold of any of us. We all immediately called family and texted our friends who were in Paris that weekend. Thankfully they were all safe and made it safely back to Barcelona within the next few days.
My roommates and I stayed home and did all our homework on Saturday. We didn't feel much like going out. Also we all slept in pretty late. I woke up and went to the bathroom at about 9:00 am before going back to bed til 12:00 pm. Something I noticed on the way back to bed was how different mine and Anavi's room is to Krista and Jennifer's. We leave our shade open all night to let in the morning light and they keep theirs closed all the time. This is just something I noticed and has no real importance other than I wanted to mention it.
Sunday was such a wonderful day! I started of the day with a delicious breakfast (picture on the left). After breakfast I went to a church that my classmate liked on Facebook and I really liked it! It's an international Christian church that is all in English. I went for the first time last Sunday and loved it. The people are so nice and the pastor had a great message. A few people invited me to the young adult group they have every Thursday night. I decided to go and loved that too, but I'll talk more about that later.

After church, I went to explore the neighborhood around La Sagrada Familia. I walked through one of the parks across from La Sagrada Familia and found a league of bocce ball players. Most of them were older men but there were a few young adults. They all seemed to be having a good time with a large crowd of spectators. I walked around for a few more hours before heading home to do more homework and go on a run. I've been working out everyday for the past few weeks. I've got a good running route around my neighborhood. My muscles are sore but my body is loving the exercise and so am I!
For our Spanish Life and Culture class on Monday we got to tour and sit in the Catalan Parliament. I got to sit in Artur Mas' seat. He is the current President of the Generalitat of Catalonia so a very important guy and I got to sit where he sits for parliament. I felt very powerful and important in that seat. The building is beautiful aswell. All the girls agreed it would be a great place to have a ball like the one in Cinderella.
On Tuesday before Interational Relations, Madi and I visited the Paris Memorial that has been set up in Plaça Catalunya by the people in Barcelona. There were signs and notes from people from all over the world. I saw Puerto Rico, Brazil, the Netherlands, Germany, England, Sweden, and many many more. It was so moving to see all the love and support that the world had for Paris. There were workers who were redoing the area behind the memorial and they worked around it even though it obstructed some of their needed work space. Everyone has nothing but support for Paris here in Barcelona.



On Wednesdays my Spanish class ends at 1:00 pm and my next class doesn't start until 4:25 pm. I spent my break at the Picasso Museum. Picasso was such a progressive artist. I really enjoyed how much his art changed as his life went through changes. His blue period was my favorite period of his art. After spending a few hours in this Museum, I made my way to class where Nuria (our lecture teacher) taught us about the progression of the Spanish film industry since it began in 1897.
I went exploring before International Relations on Thursday. This time I explored in the Gothic Quarter. With no plan and 4 hours to spare, I just walked. It was nice to have no agenda and just go. The Gothic Quarter is my favorite neighborhood of Barcelona. Everything there is so diverse yet it fits so well together.
Thursday evening I went to the young adult group at my new church and it was so uplifting. The message was about building up such a need for Christ that you can't go a day without him. After the sermon we got in small groups and prayed for one another. We prayed for those in France and all over the world. The presence of God in that room was so strong.
I met so many great people last night. Hannah is from the United States (New York state), the other Hannah is from England, Karina is from the Netherlands, Michael is from Germany (I'm pretty sure), and Nigel and Chris are from Canada. There were lots of other people but I can't remember all of their names. I'll get them next time. They invited me to go out with them after and I did. We had a little trouble finding a place but it was a fun adventure exploring around until we did find something.
Today Brett and I went to Museu Nacional D'Art de Catalunya (The National Catalan Art Museum). The building itself and view you get walking up to the museum alone is worth the visit. The museum itself is a palace. It is also my new home. All are welcome to come visit. But seriously I would love to have it be my house. It is magnificent! There are multiple fountains and waterfalls leading up to the front doors.
There was 68 sections of art to see in this ginormous museum and we saw it all. My favorite piece was Katsushika Hokusia's 'The Great Wave of Kanagawa'. I had no idea that this piece was in Barcelona. I've seen multiple pictures of this piece and it was very cool to see it in person.





I got to Skype with one of my best friends Katie for almost two hours after I got home from the museum. It was so nice to see and talk to a familiar face. It was also very nice to have to share my embarrassing moments and silly things that have happened here with her. I can't believe I get to see all my family and friends in a month from tomorrow. It's crazy how fast time has gone by and how little time I have left.
Also I sent out a bunch of postcards on a day this past week. I can't remember which day specifically but family and friends back home keep an eye out for snail mail from Spain! If you'd like me to send you a postcard just let me know. I'd love to send you one if I haven't already!

No comments

Back to Top